Friday, February 1, 2013

HELLO.

Right, so I have the impulse kick this thing off with a well-worded, eloquent, deep post.  A  post that will reveal to you, reader dearest, the fullest depths of my soul. Or something.

Tried that, sounded hokey. Deleting that draft and moving on. Let's just get the basics down for now.
Female. Asian. (Well, half). Loves reading but falls asleep too easily whilst doing so. Wants to learn to cook but perpetually clumsy and tends to acquire  burns in the process. I love to draw, but I'm painfully aware of my shortcomings as still-developing artist. For that reason, I also love to knit and crochet, because while you can critique the hell out of a figure drawing, nobody really goes up to you and says "Excuse me madam, you didn't bind off that edge correctly"

What the hell do I want to do with my life? I think I'd like to teach. Don't quote me on that. You know how kids change their answer to "What do you want to do when you grow up?" every five minutes? I still do that.

I think that I'd like to be a professor. I had a little experience assisting an art teacher in an elementary school once. Little kids are cute but they eat glue, they can tackle a full grown woman to the ground with surprising efficiency  and you can't curse in front of them without feeling immensely guilty afterwards.

But also illustration has crossed my mind as a potential career. As has giving up the art school thing and running a cutesy little bookstore. As has becoming a hippie and living in a van.

In short, I am a more often a mess than not. I listen to whatever music happens to pop onto Pandora, I have little taste or discretion. I like most kinds of art, and I freely admit to valuing simple beauty over complicated conceptual stuff. (This is not to say I dislike all modern art! But some. Oh, definitely some.)

There is nothing more wonderful to me than getting a piece of artwork just right after a long arduous work process  Except a lazy morning where you don't have to get out of bed if it doesn't suit you, and there is a warm dog and hot chocolate and a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment