Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Currently reading...

I am a serial multi-reader. I start many different books at once, and pick them up when it suits my fancy or not touch them for a couple of weeks if that's what I'm feeling. Different books for different moods! Sometimes you don't wanna slog though a few hundred pages of exposition in Game of Thrones, you're craving some Wilde instead.

So without further ado, here are my current books-in-progress...

  1. The Hobbit- J. R. R. Tolkien. I love this book because it's an adventure story told from the viewpoint of a self-professed hater of adventures, Bilbo Baggins. As a person who enjoys warm tea and sleeping until noon, I empathize with him immensely. 
    1. SIDE NOTE: I really loved the movie and can't wait to see the next installment. Maybe the hour-long-dwarf dinner party was a little painful to sit through but still, good film.
  2. A Storm of Swords -George R. R. Martin. So this fantasy series is actually like crack. Maybe the first 500 pages of each book take their time for exposition, but then for the rest of the book it's actually impossible to put down. Another thing I love about this series is how it's not very easy to pick apart good and evil. The so-called good guys kill people, and the so-called bad guys have their virtues. (Except Joffery. Damn Joffery.) 
    1. SIDE NOTE: TV series is also pretty cool, but damn, did they have to make the wedding scene of Khal Drogo and Daeyernes so rapey? It was clearly consentual in the book... 
    2. SIDE NOTE: Apparently, having the middle initials R R leads to success in the fantasy genre.
  3. The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde. Not very far into this one yet, but I'm enjoying Wilde's writing style immensely.
  4. Cleopatra: A Life- Stacy Shiff. A biography to provide refuge from this sea of fiction! Again I've really just started it, but even in the first few chapters I'm enjoying all the historical details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment